2013 May 14 12:00
Jumeirah Zabeel Saray’s Ottoman inspired décor commended by industry expert
Dubai, 14 May 2013: Jumeirah Zabeel Saray, the Ottoman inspired luxury resort located on Palm Jumeirah, has been called a ‘visual delight’ by the UK’s premier celebrity interior designer on a recent visit to Dubai.
During his stay in the city to prepare for the launch of his luxury décor collection, The House of Laurence, the popular interior designer and BBC television personality, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, stayed at Jumeirah Zabeel Saray, where he received a detailed tour of the hotel, learning about the history and inspiration behind the interior design of one of the UAE’s most luxurious hotels.
“The hotel is absolutely stunning and clearly defines the palatial opulence of Arabia. It is a visual delight and the first hotel in Dubai to truly express its personality - a delightful tribute to the by-gone era of the Ottomans. The spa’s grand hammam is exquisite while each restaurant tells its own beautiful and intriguing story through design.” commented Laurence, who is famous for his role in changing Rooms, one of the UK’s favorite interior design shows.
A book, created by Jumeirah Zabeel Saray, which was recently launched in the hotel’s shop as a souvenir for guests to buy, describes in detail the hotel’s design history, where a skilled team of 45 interior designers, led by Engin Urun of ARKETIPOdesign (an architectural firm from Turkey), dedicated over six months to the research and design of the hotel prior to the 18 months spent in construction – opening in January 2011.
Engin Urun commented: “The inspiration behind Jumeirah Zabeel Saray came from the reincarnation of the opulence of the Ottoman’s spellbinding heritage, which spans 800 years. My favorite part of the hotel is Talise Ottoman Spa - 8000m² of pure luxury and a culmination of culture, history and tradition, hidden behind the beauty of the grand and ornately hand-carved wooden doors.”
About Jumeirah Zabeel Saray’s interior design:
- Staying true to the inspirations of the Topkapi Saray and Dolmabahce Saray, two Ottoman palaces in the heart of Istanbul, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray displays artisanal murals and authentic materials that recreate the splendor of 15th century marvels, conjuring up a panoramic vista of ancient Istanbul.
- Throughout the entire resort, 30,000m² of Turkish and Italian marble, crafted by Turkish craftsmen, was designed specifically for the hotel.
- The hand painted Turkish Oak doors in Talise Ottoman Spa weigh approximately 600kg and took ten craftsmen just over two days to calve from scratch. The Condé Nast award winning spa, which is one of the largest in the Middle East, boasts 42 treatment rooms as well as three traditional grand hammams, snow rooms, thalassotherapy pools and Thai gardens amongst others.
- Talise Ottoman Spa is one of the largest spa in the Middle East and Africa, spanning more than 8,000 square metres in area spread across two floors with 42 treatment rooms, including three grand Turkish hammams and offers 22 treatments and experiences. Talise Ottoman Spa contains a whole floor dedicated to couples with private treatment rooms and a traditional hammam, all tucked away exclusively on the Mezzanine level of the spa. In addition, the spa has a Snow Bath, Thalassotherapy mineral pool, Thai Gardens and adventure shower.
- An exceptional collection of paintings were created by the leading Turkish artist Ismail Acar. The paintings depict the Tulip, a symbol of Turkey, and the garments worn by the Sultans of the Ottoman period.
- The detailed design elements of the hotel replicate those used by the ottomans in the décor of the ancient palaces. Stripped walls; the use of stars and the crescent indicate Ottoman’s worship of the sun, the moon and the sky; the use of Turquoise as a symbol of protection and the use of Tulips to represent affluence and wealth.
- The hotel’s unique interiors, with most restaurants being unique to one another, have provided the perfect backdrop for the high profile, televised filming of Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol and X Factor UK 2012 Judge’s Houses.
- End -
Note to Editors:
About Jumeirah Zabeel Saray:
Jumeirah Group, the global luxury hotel company and a member of Dubai Holding, operates a world-class portfolio of hotels and resorts. Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is a luxurious beachside resort located on the West Crescent of the iconic Palm Jumeirah in Dubai. The interior of the resort is inspired by the ancient palaces of Turkey and features hand-painted finishings, Turkish artworks and stunning murals that conjure up images of the Golden Age of the Ottoman Empire. The resort boasts 405 rooms and suites, 38 Royal Residences, Talise Ottoman Spa, one of the largest and most luxurious spas in the Middle East and a collection of six diverse restaurants which offer a vibrant selection of culinary experiences.
About Jumeirah Group:
Jumeirah Group, the global luxury hotel company and a member of Dubai Holding, operates a world-class portfolio of hotels and resorts. Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts includes Jumeirah at Etihad Towers in Abu Dhabi; Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Jumeirah Creekside Hotel, Jumeirah Emirates Towers, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray and Madinat Jumeirah in Dubai; Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa in Kuwait; Jumeirah Dhevanafushi and Jumeirah Vittaveli in the Maldives; Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel in Shanghai; Jumeirah Frankfurt in Germany; Jumeirah Grand Hotel via Veneto in Rome; Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa in Mallorca, Spain; Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah in Istanbul; as well as Jumeirah Carlton Tower and Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel in London. Jumeirah Group also runs the luxury serviced residences brand Jumeirah Living; the spa brand Talise; Jumeirah Restaurants; Wild Wadi Waterpark; The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management; and Sirius, its global loyalty programme.
For further information please contact:
Katie KingPR & Communications Manager
Jumeirah Zabeel Saray West Crescent, Palm Jumeirah
PO Box 27722 Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Mail to: Katie.King@jumeirah.com
Telephone number: +971 4 453 0691
Mobile number: +971 50 557 0260
Fax number: +971 4 301 6528
Visit us at www.jumeirahzabeelsaray.com